The Exercise Science Research Center (ESRC) operates as the research facility and is an academic component of the Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation. The ESRC serves as the responsible multi-disciplinary unit for the initiation and coordination of research, outreach education and service programs. This lab is one of the most comprehensive research facilities in the area.
The Human Performance Laboratory provides ~6,000 sq ft of research space that allows for high level health-related clinically-relevant research.
Resources in the ESRC include (but are not limited to):
- Doppler ultrasound imaging with vascular probes
- Cycle ergometers, including electronically-braked ergometers (RacerMate, Inc.)
- 12-lead ECG (Quinton Q-Stress®) integrated with computer for electronic recording
- Venous blood collection supplies including needles, catheters, tubes, etc.
- Equipment to measure blood volume (co-oximetry analyzer for carbon monoxide measures, glass tube setup and carbon monoxide)
- Equipment to measure hemodynamic variables including hydration status (hematocrit and hemoglobin for plasma volume changes, osmometer, electrolyte analyzer, lactate and glucose analyzer, refractometer, HbA1c etc.)
- Non-invasive blood pressure (Tango from SunTech Medical) and heart rate (Polar, Inc.) monitoring
- End-tidal CO2 monitoring system
- Refrigerators and freezers (-20 and -80°C) to store samples (with back-up generators)
- Platform and medical scales for mass measurements
- Infusion pumps and supplies to perform mechanistic microdialysis studies
- Skin blood flow measurement system (Moor Instruments)
- Control of local skin temperature (Perimed)
- Capacitance hygrometry sweat rate systems (Vaisala)
- Whole-body heating/cooling systems for passive heat stress (tube-lined suits from Meg-Eng, Ottawa, Canada)
- Skin (Omega Engineering, Inc) and internal (rectal and intestinal) temperature monitoring.
- Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometer (DEXA) machine.
- Metabolic cart (ParvoMedics) capable of measuring oxygen uptake via open circuit spirometry and ventilation
- Non-invasive cardiac output measures (CO2-rebreathing) integrated with the metabolic cart.
Within the laboratory there is an environmental chamber (~270 sq ft) which is capable of controlling temperature (4 to 44°C) and humidity (30 to 75%). The chamber is designed such that the cardiovascular and thermoregulatory equipment necessary for data collection can be moved and utilized in this space.
All signals are collected via an 16 channel data recording and analysis system (PowerLab and Chart) connected to a high-speed computer. To prevent the loss of data during a temporary power disruption, data collection computers are on a battery-backup system. Data collection computers have removable storage capabilities (CD-RW and external hard drive) for data backup.
As part of the ESRC we have a recently renovated wet lab (~1,000 sq ft) with the following resources & equipment:
- Nikon TiS Inverted Microscope System with X-Cite 120 LED Fluorescent System; LWD objectives of 4, 10, 40X; 100X oil immersion objective; fluorescent light cubes corresponding to DAPI, FITC, TRITC and Texas Red equivalent channels, NIS-Elements Basic Research Acquisition and analysis package
- ABI Step One RealTime PCR Thermocycler
- LiCor CDigit Western Blot Scanner
- 3x Apparatuses for electrophoresis of agarose gels
- 4x Life Technologies Bolt Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis apparatuses
- 4x Power supplies for electrophoresis (BioRad)
- VWR microcentrifuge
- -80°C and -20°C freezers
- 4ºC refrigerators
- Harvard Apparatus Force Transducer
- Schuler Tissue Bath System
- Symphony pH meters
- 3x hotplates/stirrers
- Beckman Coulter XL-22R centrifuge
- Incubators and water baths
- Tissue Tek homogenizers
- Applied Biosystems PCR thermocycler
- Techne Genius PCR thermocycler
- Qubit flurometer
- 2x circulating water baths
- BioTek microplate reader with Take3 microvolume microplate for nucleic acid quantification
- DEXA machine with small animal software
- 2x Full set of manual and automatic micropipettes
- nutating mixer, digital dry baths
- Napco autoclave
- FL800X microplate fluorescence reader
- Olympus CKX41 inverted microscope with digital color camera tied to Nikon BR software
- Purelab ultra water purification unit
- Explosion proof refrigerator/freezer
- High speed centrifuge
- 2x analytical balance (Mettler Toledo, 0.1mg)
- 2x 5’ Chemical fume hood
- 2x water bath, 3x hot plates
- Grass S88 Stimulator
- Columbus Instruments 8 wheel home cage mouse running system with computer driven interface (maintained in CLAF A36).
- Research Animal Treadmill (maintained in CLAF A36).
- ThermoFisher 1300 Series A2 BSC Class II Biosafety Cabinet for Cell Culture
- ThermoFisher MaxQ 4450 Benchtop Orbital Shaker/Incubator
- ThermoFisher Forma Series II Water Jacketed CO2 Incubator with IR Sensor
- ThermoFisher Isotemp Dual Chamber Water Bath
- Sorvall ST8 Centrifuge
In addition to these resources, PI's have access to the University's core facilities which includes an animal facility.